The civil non-profit organization Regeneration & Progress (R&P) was set up in 2008 with the aim to design and implement programmes and actions in the fields of Health, Sports, Education and Culture with the exclusive financial support of Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF). For further information on the actions of R&P, please visit the website http://www.randp.gr.
As part of its actions in the field of education, R&P undertook the implementation of education programmes on trauma treatment. To this end, R&P, being responsible for the management and technical supervision of these programmes, formed, in March 2020, the Management Team for Trauma Programmes “Trauma Edu”.
The development and implementation of education programmes on trauma treatment are carried out as part of the Health Initiative of Stavros Niarchos Foundation, which relates to the full funding of a series of projects, infrastructure and education for the promotion of Health in Greece, with a budget that exceeds $400 million.
The education programmes are implemented in accordance with Law 4655/2020 (Government Gazette, Series I, No 16/31-1-2020), with the exclusive financial support of SNF, over a five-year pilot phase. The cooperating bodies are the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (UoA), Health Units SA (AEMY SA), the Ministry of Health and R&P.
The education programmes are the following:
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS): seminars on the treatment of multi-injured patients for sixth year students and graduates in medicine in the first year after graduation and prior to commencement of work as doctors
- Αdvanced Trauma Care for Nurses (ATCN): seminars on the treatment of multi-injured patients for senior nursing students and nursing graduates in the first year after graduation and prior to commencement of work as nurses
- Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS): seminars on the prehospital treatment of injured patients for rescuers in service-ambulance crews, nurses and doctors who serve at the National Emergency Aid Center (EKAV) as well as at Health Centers (PHC) all over Greece
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support (APLS): seminars on the treatment of paediatric patients – children’s emergency medicine for sixth year students and graduates in medicine in the first year after graduation and prior to commencement of work as doctors
- Hands on Cadaver Course (ΗOCC): surgical anatomy seminars for orthopaedic surgeons in training and seminars on the management of rupturing trauma through surgical skills learning programmes for medical students
- Scrub Nurses Training: training seminar for scrub nurses
- Medical Simulation Lab: medical simulation of surgical incidents and emergencies for trainee surgeons-anesthesiologists-orthopaedic surgeons-emergency department physicians and medical students
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital Trauma Fellowships (CHBAH Trauma Fellowships): scholarships for doctors specializing in General Surgery and Orthopaedic Surgery at the training center Trauma Directorate ofCHBAH